Deep Tissue Sports Massage
Sports/deep tissue massage emphasizes prevention and healing of injuries to the muscles and tendons -- originally developed to help athletes prepare their bodies for optimal performance and recover after a big event - you don't have to be and athlete to benefit from sports/deep tissue massage. Sports/deep tissue massage is also good for people with injuries, chronic pain or restricted range of motion.
How it helps:
- The stroking movements in massage suck fluid through blood vessels and lymph vessels. By increasing the pressure in front of the stroke, a vacuum is created behind. This is especially important in tight or damaged muscle tissue as a tight muscle will squeeze blood out like a sponge, depriving the tissues of vital nutrients and energy to repair.
- Causes the pores in tissue membranes to open, enabling fluids and nutrients to pass through. This helps remove waste products such as lactic acid and encourage the muscles to take up oxygen and nutrients which help them recover quicker.
- Can stretch tissues that could not be stretched in the usual methods. Bundles of muscle fibres are stretched lengthwise as well as sideways. Massage can also stretch the sheath or fascia that surrounds the muscle, so releasing any tension or pressure build up.
- Anxiety reduction – through the effects mentioned above relaxation is induced and so stress and anxiety levels are reduced.
- Invigorating – Sports massage is done with brisk movements which produces an invigorating feeling.